1. On a large plate, rub on some olive oil and sprinkle with your favorite seasonings. I used:
- Garlic powder
- Touch of salt
- Dash of cayanne pepper
2. Cut the tomatoes into large, 1/2 inch slices and place on the seasoned plate.
3. Give the top side of the tomatoes the same treatment as the plate.
4. Splash on a bit of red wine vinegar and let the tomatoes sit for a few minutes.
5. Grill until tender and grill marks are present :)
* * *
And now, I must make a shout out to my culinary inspiration, Regina Rea. I have whippped up so many of her recipes in my kitchen and have never been disappointed. This (what I call) Red Cabbage Slaw (because of the ingredients I had on hand) is phenomenal and shockingly healthy compared to your typical mayonnaise-dripping "slaws". *shutter* This slaw is light, tangy, crunchy and makes the perfect side or salad topper.
(Addapted from Regina's Knock Out Tangy Slaw Recipe!)
Red Cabbage Slaw
1/2 a head of Red Cabbage, chopped up small
1/2 of a small white or red onion, diced small
1/2 of a ripe avocado, diced
Handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
1 clove of garlic, minced
1-2 Tbsp olive oil
1-2 tablespoons of freshly squeezed lime juice (this flavor comes through very well, so taste as you go so its not too tangy for you)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1/2 cup toasted pecans
1. Mix up the dressing in a big bowl by combining the 1//4 cup of greek yogurt, lime juice, olive oil and minced garlic. Stir together until well mixed.
2. In the same bowl, dump in the chopped cabbage, onions, and basil.
3. Stir together until cabbage is well coated.
4. Fold in the toasted pecans and top salad with diced avocado. It's the avocado that gives the salad its "creaminess", so add more avocado if you want!