Saturday, January 7, 2012

Banana Oat Bars


My sister hates bananas. She hates even the sight of them. I wish I had a picture of her face when she said "..and BANANAS are everywhere!!" when were talking about our messy kitchen (which I have now cleaned to be spotless!). It was probably the best disgusted look I have ever seen!  :)

If every banana was as brown and spotted as the ones I put into these delicious oat bars, I might hate bananas, too. But I don't, and these are delicious! (if you like bananas)


I'm often looking for a little quick snack that will ease my hunger, won't cause me to be starving in a half hour, and is not full of processed, unhealthy stuff. I think these bars will do just the trick and are healthy too! (Gluten free in fact.) Easy to pack. Easy to eat. And easy to make!


Ingredients
3 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 egg

2 cups oats
1/3 cup whole wheat flour (I used buckwheat)
1/3 cup flax seeds
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup shredded coconut (I had sweetened)
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
1/3 cup raisins or dried fruit of choice


Directions
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
2. Mix the dry ingredients together well in a small bowl
3. Mix the wet ingredients together in a bigger bowl
4. Combine the dry ingredients in the wet-ingredients bowl and mix all together.
5. Grease up a baking dish and pour in the batter and pat down with a fork. The thickness of the bars is really up to you, but mine were about an inch thick.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until the edges are starting to brown.
7. Let the bars cool before cutting them and storing them in a Tupperware or tinfoil.


2 comments:

  1. I can TOTALLY picture her face! LOL! I am cracking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha -- actually, I have to say, I took a bite of one (!!!!!!!!) but made sure it had a huge chocolate chip in it (to mask the banana flavor) -- and it was still delicious!

    ReplyDelete