This is my all time favorite muffin at the moment. This recipe comes from my good friend Dylan who got this recipe from his grandmother--so you know it's tried and true! Nothing like waking up in the morning looking forward to a hot cup of coffee and a warm bran muffin....
* This recipe makes about 12 muffins. I always double it because you can never have too many bran muffins! (They freeze really well too!)
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cup bran
1/4 cup oil***
1 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup molasses
1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
*** I use olive oil, but you can use veggie oil if you don't like the olive oil taste... I honestly can't tell the difference
1. Combine raisins and water in a large mixing bowl and microwave for 2 minutes. Then, let it sit for 5 minutes.
2. Add bran, milk, and oil to the bowl and give it a quick stir. Let this mixture sit for another 5 minutes.
3. Add the egg and molasses to the bowl and mix well.
4. In another bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda and salt. Then, dump this well-mixed mixture into the bowl with the wet ingredients.
5. Stir all together. The batter should be fluffy once everything is mixed together. (I sometimes add a few chocolate chips to the batter just to make things exciting.... Dark chocolate is healthy!) :)
6. Drop into a greased muffin pan. I don't like to bother with the paper and they always come out very easily from the pan.
7. Bake at 400 F for about 15 minutes.