Saturday, November 5, 2011

Bringing in Fall - Bean Soup Style

Today is in the 60's, last night it rained, and now a colder breeze is blowing in the windows. I hope it is safe to say that fall is here. The other night I whipped up a large pot of delicious tomato bean soup and at it with a side of freshly baked cornbread from scratch.




Ingredients

1 28 oz can of tomatoes
3 cups water
1 tsp chili powder
1 can each of kidney beans, black beans, & garbanzo beans
1 can of corn  (I threw in about a cup of frozen corn)
1 cup carrots, chopped
1 onion, diced
1 1/2 tsp garlic  (I never really measure this--I just chopped up a couple cloves)
1 6 oz can of tomato paste
1//2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
A few leaves of fresh basil, chopped (or cilantro)


Directions



1. In a large pot, start the onions and carrots cooking for just a few minutes with a bit of olive oil.
2. Throw in the rest of the ingredients.
3. Stir together, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium to medium low and let the soup simmer for 20-30 minutes.
4. Enjoy with your favorite cornbread!

1 comment:

  1. I love that cilantro shot! *swoon*
    Keep posting, Gina! I LOVE YOUR BLOG.

    ReplyDelete